White Star's last liner, the second Georgic, was a diesel
powered motor vessel rather than a steamer. She was built
by Harland and Wolff, Belfast and launched in 1931.
After her 25 June 1932 maiden voyage from Liverpool to New
York, Georgic ran on that route during the summer and cruised
out of New York in the winter.
In 1935, about a year after the Cunard-White Star merger,
Georgic moved to London, and remained there until 1939. She
then returned to Liverpool before being requisitioned as a
troopship in 1940.
In July 1941, at Port Tewfik, on the Gulf of Suez, Georgic
was bombed by German aircraft, caught fire and was severely
damaged. More than three years of repairs followed at Port Sudan,
Karachi, Bombay and Belfast. The repairs had a substantial effect
on Georgic's appearance, since her forward funnel (a dummy) and
mainmast were removed, and her foremast was cut down significantly.
Finally, in December 1944, Georgic (by now Government-owned) returned
to her trooping duties under Cunard-White Star management. After some
post-war trooping and service as an emigrant ship, Georgic returned
to Cunard-White Star service, on charter during each summer from 1950
to 1954. (Her 1950 sailings were Liverpool-New York. From 1951 to 1954,
she sailed Southampton-New York.)
After some additional trooping and emigrant service in 1955, Georgic was
broken up in 1956.
Sources: Haws' Merchant Fleets; Bonsor's North Atlantic Seaway; Eaton and
Haas' Falling Star.