Union-Castle's replacement for the lost Windsor Castle, Pretoria Castle
was built by Harland & Wolff at Belfast. She was launched by radio from
Irene, Transvaal, by Mrs. Jan Smuts in August 1947 and entered
Union-Castle's Southampton-Durban mail service in July 1948.
In June 1953, Pretoria Castle carried Government guests at the
Coronation Review held at Spithead. Later, in 1962, a refitting
resulted in the fore mast being reduced to funnel height, the main mast
being removed, and a new mast fitted at the bridge.
In 1966, the ship was sold to the South African Marine Corp. and renamed
Oranje. She remained on her old route, under Union-Castle management,
and was staffed by Union-Castle officers and crew, but wore Safmarine
livery. In 1969, her registry was changed from London to Cape Town.
Oranje was broken up at Kaohsiung in 1975.